Any vehicle which is more than three years old needs an annual MOT inspection to ensure that it is roadworthy – it’s the law. These tests are carried out at registered MOT stations, Clover Autos is based just off the M11 in Essex and our testers will check over various parts of the vehicle to make sure that they meet the minimum required standards set by the Ministry of Transport. Car owners are responsible for booking their motors in for an MOT every year once their car reaches the grand old age of three years.
So what sorts of things are checked at the MOT?
- The “VIN” number – aka Vehicle Identification Number – this must be legibly and permanently displayed
- Registration plate – it must be in good condition, legible and secure with the right types of numbers and letters
- Steering and suspension
- Washers and wipers
- Seat belts – they must be in place and they must function correctly
- Seats – the front seats must be secure in the motor
- Fuel system
- Structure of the vehicle – looking for signs of excessive rust and corrosion which may make the vehicle unsafe in case of a collision – there must be no sharp edges
- Exhaust system
- Doors – they’ve got to open and close securely. The tester will also ensure that all front doors can be opened from inside the car for safety reasons
- Mirrors – your car must have mirrors in the correct position
- Wheels and tyres – the tyres must have adequate tread, be the correct size and type for the vehicle and be in good condition
- Brakes – must operate efficiently for safety sake. Vehicles are often tested on a roller brake tester to see how they perform when moving
- Exhaust emission – are also tested to make sure that your car isn’t polluting the environment any more than it is permitted to
We are ideally situated if you live in Essex or if you travel the M11 on a regular basis then you can book up and pop in. If you want to find out more or book in for your MOT then please contact us today.