As summer is approaching we’ve put together some tips for you to get the most out of your Audi during the warmer weather and on longer drives. Many of you will have plans to drive further afield for your Easter break and summer holidays, so it’s important that your car is in tip top condition to avoid any problems on the way.
There are some things you can check yourself, while others should only be done by an Audi service specialist.
The most important thing to check if you are planning a long drive is your tyres. Winter weather can take its toll and if they are not up to scratch then it can be very dangerous. Braking and steering only work as well as the bit of tyre rubber connecting you to the road, so they need to be in good condition. These are some of the things that should be checked:
- Tyre tread depth – the legal minimum is 1.6mm but you shouldn’t wait for your tread to get to this limit before changing the tyres.
- Tyre pressures – check these at least once a month.
- Damage – check the tyre walls and treads for signs of cracking or perishing as well as any bulges or cuts caused by our many Essex pot holes.
- Spare tyre – don’t forget to check this too and make sure it isn’t an illegal spare, as you could be fined if you have to use it.
Your Audi should be serviced at least once a year, more often if you do a lot of mileage. The following should also be checked on a regular basis:
- Engine oil – this should be topped up to the maximum mark on the dip stick. Your Audi may burn a little oil between services, so you should probably check it yourself occasionally.
- Brake fluid – topping this up isn’t something you can do yourself, and should always be done by a trained mechanic. If you notice that the fluid has dropped below the minimum mark you will need to get your Audi inspected right away to find the cause.
- Vehicle lamps – before going on a long journey you need to check that all the lamps and illumination are working properly, especially the brake lights. If you are taking your car abroad it is a good idea to take spare bulbs and a fluorescent jacket and triangle with you.
- Wiper blades – check the rubber and replace if splitting or perished.
If you are not comfortable performing any of these checks yourself, Clover Autos would be happy to do them for you. We are an Audi service specialist based in Essex and we also serve the surrounding areas.
Please feel free to give us a call if you need any advice on taking care of your Audi or read more about getting a vehicle safety check.